Sunday, July 17, 2011

hope

Right now I'm relishing the cool, warm sensation of resting indoors after hours of sun, wind, and waves at Oak Island. I've been reading good books and quietly enjoying the conversations of my mom's friends--frequently reminded of how young I am. My mind soars during times like these, and I think of all that could be. I suppose that's why we all need "vacation" time--to free our minds up from what is to open it to the winds of what might be one day.

There of course have also been conversations of justice. We've discussed human trafficking and the problem that exists in America and the rest of the world. We've discussed the criminal justice system and the death penalty. We've discussed Burma and refugees. Everyone wants to know every detail I can provide about where I am going and what I'll be doing (these are the adults that watched me grow up). They especially care about knowing why I am going into this particular situation. To answer their questions, I must paint a picture of the current moment--a frequently frustrating picture of injustice.

But still the waves beat another song of what might be someday...

That is the song that we all live to be a part of--maybe not all in Burma, but in the situations that surround us. We must go on believe that "what is" is not the final answer.

No comments: