Sunday, July 10, 2011

church

I'm choosing to be bold today, despite a few inner qualms. I've decided, given that it's Sunday, to post today about what I did not do. I suppose I've thus far envisioned this blog as mostly a means of allowing people to follow along with the things that I see and think about as I move to the Thai-Burma border. However, since I've already entertained a few off-subject posts (and will likely continue to do so), this one may be permissible. You see, there's something I really want to say and get off my chest. It's something I'm generally afraid of saying, because I'm afraid of people's reactions, but I want to be honest about it this time.

Today I did not go to church. In fact, I was trying to remember the last time I went to a church service. Despite a very real, persistent, and honest faith, I'm afraid I cannot even claim to be a holiday church goer. Perhaps the last time I attended a "church" service (that is, a service that would have self-claimed such a distinction) would have been about a year ago when I visited my German family and that having been the first time again for several months. I rather imagine my readers, confused by my directness and openness, will likely miss the sadness in these words. Yet, to be clear, there is something I miss.

So here's the truth: I have not belonged to a church for five years. FIVE years. Half a decade. While for some readers who have never attended church, this seems a minor thing, to a person who grew up faithfully in the church (generally 2-3 times a week), half a decade is quite notable. And, honestly, I have made far less efforts to place myself back in one then I usually try to let on. When talking to others, I generally emphasize that I've been out of church for the last TWO years while living in rural Louisiana. And I mention how in college I attended a Christian college, where I was surrounded by Christian community. I also discuss all the many different churches and types of churches I visited during those college years. I seem so afraid of people knowing the truth about my absence in church. I almost never really use the number FIVE. It's like if I say five years, then I will have to relive in my mind all the events that unfurled five years ago that left me without a church. I'll have to remember why applications that asked for a pastor's reference reopened old wounds, because I simply did not know who to ask. Yet, that fear reduces the ongoing choice I've made to a single series of events, over which I had no control. This is not that. I've made my choices, and I've not chosen to wander into just any old church and commit to regular attendance.

So fact: churches are messy. Also fact: what we call churches are not the only expression of the Body of Christ. I'm trying to start something new by being open and honest about where I come from and how long I've been on this journey. And I am on a journey. God continues to woo me, and through the events that propelled me from the safe place I had grown up under, the image of God that I see is so much greater (and kinder) than ever before. I've come to experience the corporate silence of an unplanned Quaker meeting and the beauty of global unity in the scripted prayers of the liturgical churches. But, at the end of the day, I think this journey has truly been about dropping the religious baggage of my past and keeping my eyes open for other ways in which the Body of Christ lives and breathes. We exist in game nights in which we encourage the friend in despair, we exist in listening ears to the friend in love, and we exist in service to each other and others. This can happen in existing church institutions, but we are not limited to there, and, in fact, the institutions of church that we have imagined may even be fatally flawed. So, in hopes of spreading the desire to think outside of the box, I am choosing to be honest from this day forward: I haven't belonged to a church in five years.

I say this even as I intend to absolutely plug myself into church community in Chiang Mai next year, because I will need those individuals. But I'm going to do it differently this time. I will not ever worship the institution again (and I fear my former loyalty to my old church bordered on such at times), and I will recognize Church everywhere it occurs: in conversations, relationships, meals, and service. In fact, as this Sunday comes to an end, while I cannot say that I would wish for the events of the past to have occurred, I can say that I am grateful for the gap away from church, forcing me to face my own religious/evangelical upbringing, personal arrogance, and narrow vision of God. This is a road that I must continue down. Yet, I know I am not alone in this experience, and it is my prayer that each of us on this journey gains the courage to be more open and together to think through new (and old) ways of expressing the Body of Christ to each other and the rest of the world. On that note, have a happy Sunday!

3 comments:

joy said...

Very well said.

joy said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

Anonymous said...

Well, Kara, we here in Chiang Mai, all feel a lot like you. I think you will be surprised at the unique expression of the body, Jesus has got going here..... and it will not be what you expect I think. Looking forward to seeing you here. Stu